BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, 13 May 2011

The Dark Side. Streets of Malaysia, #1

Hiyaaa readers! Hope you all are doing fine :)

"The Dark Side" 

Did you expect something positive as referred to the weekly theme "Streets of Malaysia"? A tour post or some sort? With all the negativity going around, I think it's about time I share my stories and opinions on the dark side of our streets.

I'm sure you've heard about the rapes, snatch thefts in the recent years and of course, the acid splashing attacks happening around Kuala Lumpur. The stories below that I'm about to share are based from experiences or stories told by my family and friends.

RAPE CASES

I remember back when I was 12, it was during the beginning of the year, specifically January and my mother and I were watching the news. This case happened in Sarawak by the way. It was a typical school day when a girl who was on her way to school using her usual route got raped and killed. That was only the beginning. A month after that, a girl got raped and killed by a guard at a power station and as the years followed, rape cases happened but none were as shocking as what I'm about to share. This occurred in the town I live in, Wangsa Maju. The girl was walking alone at a night market when all of the sudden, she was taken by a mysterious white van. About a few days later, her body was found stuffed in a duffel bag in Petaling Jaya and she had a cucumber stuffed into her private part and the poor girl was only about 8 or 9 if I'm not mistaken. This case shocked everyone and it's something I'll NEVER forget. Why? It happened in my town and the way the girl was murdered is considered barbaric. I remember my mother shedding a few tears while she was watching a live telecast of the girl's funeral on the news. Sadly, the culprit was never caught but according to the news I read around last year, her parents have not given up hope to catch the culprit until justice is served. 

SNATCH THEFTS

A colleague of my mother's was walking around the streets of Penang. She was wearing dangling golden earrings if I'm not mistaken when all of the sudden, a man on a motorcycle drove by and snatched one of her earrings (OUCCCCHHH!). A friend of mine, told me about her experience. She and her mother were walking nearby Mid Valley when a man on a motorcycle snatched her mother's bag. Luckily both of them were alright but it's definitely something traumatizing to her and her mother.

There was once when I was driving along Jalan Bukit Bintang, a popular area with many tourists walking along the street and I saw a signboard reading "Beware of Snatch Thieves". I didn't know signs like that existed. To see this signboard was something new to me as I have never encountered this in other places before. Snatch thefts are definitely something to be aware of and it definitely gives a negative view to the tourism industry of our country.

TAXI DRIVERS

Thinking of riding a taxi ladies? Well, think twice. This happened to a dear friend of mine back in 2007. She was at Sungei Wang Plaza when she decided to take a taxi back to school. She had already told the driver where her destination was and the driver nodded and drove as a normal taxi driver would. Unfortunately, she was in the wrong place and time. The driver used a different route and kept on yelling at her whenever she alerted the driver. She could tell something was fishy and was brave enough to have jumped out of the taxi. I was in school at that time on my way to the toilet when I saw her sitting by the staircase crying. She had apparently sprained her arm and walked back to school all the way from where the incident occurred.

ACID SPLASHING

Hot topic of the weeeeeeek! Earlier this morning, a woman in her 30's was splashed by acid making her the splasher's 21st victim. This happened in MY TOWN AND AREA. Wangsa Maju, Section 10 to be precise. This area isn't huge. I go around Section 10 every time I go out as it is a hill and a one way road. So, imagine if I had drove out today in the morning with my windows rolled down. Chances of getting splashed were high. Seriously, my area specifically would be the last place in my mind for the splasher to come. A few weeks ago, my mother had warned me about this attack as her friend's boss was one of his victims. Fortunately, she survived with only minor injuries.

As the victims are mostly ladies, please do stay cautious wherever you're at. Pray hard and always be alert. For the guys, do take care of your loved ones <3






No comments:

Post a Comment